The School Holiday Program is a youth development program for young people in the Broadmeadows region to experience leisure and creative activities, to develop skills and build social capital.
In response to the strong community need for accessible and affordable recreation alternatives for local young people during the school holidays, Banksia Gardens Community Services decided to embark on establishing an ongoing school holiday program in Broadmeadows. The program was first delivered in Term 3 2008, and has been running ever since.
The Banksia Gardens School Holiday Program takes place every school holidays and offers young people a combination of recreational, sport and educational activities. Banksia Gardens vision is of a sustainable program that uses resources efficiently to meet community need for high quality, affordable and accessible school holiday programs.
For seven days during every school holidays. Sessions go from 10am-3pm, except for excursion days which start at 9:30am.
Young people from the ages of 6 to 16, with children from 5 years of age being able to attend on Friday’s Family Days.
The Banksia Gardens Youth Development Holiday Program aims to:
- provide positive and fun recreational activities;
- develop young people’s skills in a variety of sporting and leisure fields;
- help young people to experience programs and visit places they may not normally have had access to;
- provide an opportunity to effectively engage young people and their families with Banksia Gardens, linking them into other programs we offer as well as the wider community;
- offer a venue for young people to acquire practical life skills such as cooking nutritional meals and confidently catching public transport.
For more information
For more information, please contact Bodhi Sweeny.