Welcome to the Northern Centre for Excellence in School Engagement (NCESE)’s 2023 conference: From surviving to thriving.
On this page you will find the official conference program, links to presenter slides, some further reading and more!
For further information about the conference or the NCESE, please contact NCESE Director Jaime de Loma-Osorio Ricon.
Mark Greenberg: The importance of educator social and emotional literacy
- Presentation slides handout for Mark’s keynote
Liana Buchanan: The social determinants of health, education and life chances
Stuart Ablon: The power of collaborative problem solving for students with Tier 3 behaviours
- Presentation slides handout for Stuart’s keynote
Additional reading from Stuart:
Jaime de Loma-Osorio Ricon: 7 lessons after 7 years of Project Real
Christa Turksma: Cultivating Awareness & Resilience in Educators
- Presentation slides handout for Christa’s workshop
- Additional handouts: CARE Program information and Daily practices handout.
Mark Greenberg workshop: Implementing systemic SEL in Schools
- Presentation slides handout
- Workshop handout: CASEL ten indicators rubric
- Additional handouts: Research benefits of SEL; Evidence for SEL; Five key messages for SEL; Five FAQs on SEL.
Astrid Decloux & Seral Fehmi workshop: A trauma-informed framework for success in working with Tier 3 behaviours
Kristin Reimer workshop: Restorative Practices in your school culture and process
- Parker-Shandal, C. A. H. (2022). Restorative justice in the classroom: Liberating students’ voices through relational pedagogy. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan